Nov 14, 2011

{book} case study


Today, I have been busy gathering inspiration ideas for an upcoming design project. It is an expansive family room that has vaulted ceilings and a lot of empty wall space. One wall is just crying out to me for built in bookcases. They are so functional and they instantly add architecture to any space. Love that this one has the 8 + 0 adding interest through art on the bookcase.


Built-ins are so classic. They are wonderful when it comes to adding personality + character to a room. The only downside is that if you move around a lot, like me it might be a hard selling point if the new owners do not share your taste. 

But there are ways to make any bookcase have a built-in feel. Notice the crown molding around the top of the shelf in the next photo. It is a super inexpensive way to make it look like your bookcase has lived in your space for years. 


I love that they have made each cover monochromatic in the bookcase above. It makes the books look so clean and organized. They make quite a nice understated gesture. 


Decorating with books is one of my favorite things to do. I always take the dust jackets off my books so I can display the beautiful hard covers and bindings. I know the idea of that probably drives some of you crazy, but you should try it. You will not regret it.


Books are such an inexpensive way to decorate any room. And bonus they look good while they are being stored. If you have books hidden away somewhere in cabinets or a basement...dust them off and get them out where people can see! 


This is a in store photo I took when at Ikea {hence the price tags}. Yes. I love that store. I do not care how many designers disagree with me, I will always love it. The bookcases here are all put together to make one very large statement and bonus you can take them with you when you move!