Nov 7, 2011

travel log: chicago


In my recent travels, I was fortunate enough to visit Chicago, not once but twice. Good old Chi Town is very close to my heart, only surpassed by my hometown of Milwaukee. It is only two hours from where I grew up, so my family and I visited often. And yet it never seemed to be often enough. 

One of the must-do's when I visit, is none other than the RL Restaurant. Now, I am not going to lie to you. The brunch is not the best I have ever had. They serve a decent quiche and the mimosas are wonderful, but the reason I love it so much is because of the ambiance. I feel like I'm a dinner guest at the Lauren Estate or a character in the board game Clue. Its rustically elegant atmosphere makes me sit up a little straighter, laugh a little longer, and pay a bit more attention to my grammar. 

Here are a few interior photos of the restaurant. I have to say, they do not do this glorious restaurant justice, but it will at least give you an idea. My favorite room in the whole place is, believe it or not, the bathroom. You actually have to take a deeply colored wood paneled elevator with gold plated buttons downstairs to get to it. It's decorated classically in blacks and whites with grand artwork in silver frames and a purple orchid for color. 

Next time you are in Chicago, I hope you will check it out. See more here